By nmurray, Dec 2 2020 10:35AM
I have with me today Caitlin Lynagh. Welcome, I hope that you are having a good day. Caitlin was born in Cardiff and graduated from Keele University with a BSc in Biology and Geology in 2013. Since graduating, Caitlin has followed her passion for writing and recently won a Young Writer's Award with Outlet Publishing
In November, Caitlin published Quantm Messenger (The Soul Prophecies Book 4) science fiction for young adults.
Please tell everyone about your creative works and about your book marketing journey.
"I love the idea of blogging your marketing journey, we have tried to be inventive with the marketing of Quantum Messenger – thinking outside the box in order to attract, not only regular readers, but passing readers too."
1. What made you want to write a book?
I’ve always enjoyed reading and I dabbled with writing a book when I was sixteen, bursting with vampires and sirens, which was fun to write but not very good. I wrote another book which became the backbone of my first published book, Anomaly. I won a young writers’ award with Outlet Publishing and they worked with me to develop and finish Anomaly, the first in The Soul Prophecies series, in 2016. Since then I have written and released four more books and Quantum Messenger completes the series – although all books read as standalone novels as they are connected by theme.
2. Tell us about you and where you live.
I’m a highly creative person and make crafts as well as write books. I’m a science junkie too, I graduated from Keele University with a Bsc in Geology and Biology. My dissertation involved me spending six weeks in the Peruvian rainforest studying primates, which was an enlightening experience.
I’m lucky to live in a beautiful rural village in Cumbria, UK. It’s ten minutes’ drive from England’s Book Town of Sedbergh where I help out with a massive bookshop there called Westwood Books and try to get involved in the writing community.
3. What have you written and what are you working on now?
The Soul Prophecies Series has four books: Another Path is book 1&2 – a rewrite of Anomaly and Hidden Variables (the birth of the human soul), Lost Frequencies (the birth of alien souls) and now Quantum Messenger (the birth of AI souls).
I’m working on a new project now, which is a little more technically challenging but will hopefully be released next year. I like writing more realistic fantasy, so I’m creating an alternative society on Earth at the moment, as if society had evolved differently leading to the present. I haven’t found a title that I’m happy with yet.
4. How do you market your books and do your promotion methods work?
We have tried being more inventive with the marketing of Quantum Messenger – thinking outside the box in order to attract, not only regular readers, but passing readers too. This has included:
· A song, written by myself as the central character Apollo (although the music and chorus came from a dream – I literally dreamt a robot sang to me!). The song was called Who Am !? and was recorded by artist OUR EYES and was released to coincide with the book. We released it with a full lyric video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1kKFxRyBrs&feature=youtu.be
· A YouTube puzzle revealing one square with one piano note every day in the three months leading up to the release. There was no information at all except: Who Am I? Not [celebrity name]. It gained some interest on Reddit but we couldn’t put a street-team together to maximise use (lesson learned for next release). On the final day there was a puzzle reveal video with the piano notes leading to the song above with a book trailer. The book trailer has since gained over 2000 views on YouTube.
· We set up a Twitter account for Apollo. https://twitter.com/Apollo020385 He tweets as a time-travelling robot, sent back to correct future mistakes. It’s been gaining more attention lately and will be fun to continue now the book is released.
· We combined this with advertising on NetGalley, BookBub and Twitter (via Tweet Your Books, BGS and Author Marketing) and Publishing Push marketed advanced review copies to bloggers.
It’s been a fun journey and reviews are already coming in and most are excellent.
5. Where can readers find your book for sale?
The Quantum Messenger eBook is available on Amazon, https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B089QVXLR7 Barns & Noble https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/quantum-messenger-caitlin-lynagh/1137139524 and Apple Books and the hardcover can be ordered from most bookstores and online. As are the other books in the series.
Thank you so much for sharing your story with everyone. I am sure that your books will do well.
Stay and touch and I hope that you have wonderful Christmas and a COVID free New Year.